Tuesday 26 May 2015

MY ACL STORY: The Week When I Wobble....

This is probably my favourite quote that
I've found from this whole process :)
Hello everyone :)
Week 6:

Recovery is hard..... It just had to be said.
Honestly, I have never been through something as physically and mentally challenging as this. But every week that I get through is like a huge pat on the back for me, like a "congrats, I know this is hard, but you're getting through it" type thing. It also makes me feel really good when I think that I can't do something, and then I push through and do it. It's true what they say "My knee may never be the same, but neither will be determination"....

This week I had my first physiotherapy appointment with the new physiotherapist, who deals with the ACL patients. He had me on the wobble board (for the first time post-op, hoorah!) which was incredibly difficult at first, but once I got into it my balance seemed to improve - which may be my gymnastic skills slowly coming back aha! My physiotherapist was really impressed with my balancing and thinks I'm doing really well with my recovery. I also continued with my strengthening - gentle - exercises. I was informed that for the first 12 weeks this is all we can do, as before that time is when your body is still getting used to the operation, and is still adjusting to the new ACL. So the heavier exercises (like running and jumping) will come after that time, just to be on the safe side.
He also told me that my recovery may be a bit slower than other people's because of the tear in my meniscus that had to be sorted out, which is frustrating but it has made me even more determined to prove him wrong.
My brace should be coming off next week too, and I am very very excited about this! I'll finally have freedom :)

However, despite the positives, I also had a bit of a wobble this week. I was in town shopping, with my brace on and using my crutches, when I felt a sharp pain go through my knee. I'm not sure if I stepped funny or twisted my knee a little bit, or something like that, but I suddenly felt A LOT of pain.
I then had to stop for a few minutes and gain my strength back (and calm myself down as there were a few tears), but then I got going again but didn't put so much weight on my left leg.
I'm still not sure what exactly happened, but it did put a downer on my recovery this week as I've been trying to take it as easy as possible to not aggravate my knee :( At my next physiotherapy session I will ask if he knows what could have happened.
I know that I won't have torn my ACL again as it would take much more than a little twist when waking to do it, but you can't help but have a fearful mind, especially being so early on in recovery, that you've done it again.
Hopefully I'll be able to shed some light on this in next week's post.

This week also saw one of my favourite bands, 5 Seconds of Summer, begin their first headline arena world tour (I know, what a mouthful) *sounds of me sobbing from being so proud*. You may be thinking "what the heck does this have to do with your recovery?!" Well this first show brought about 5SOS' new song "Permanent Vacation" - which may I add has been on repeat for days. And this new song is bloody great to do physio exercises to and I would recommend it to everyone. It is incredibly catchy and sounds brilliant live. The chants throughout the song make it an absolute anthem and get everyone so hyped when listening to it. I love it!
It has also got me super excited to see them in June :D
5SOS in Lisbon.
So this has been a pretty calm week (apart from the wobble when shopping) in terms of recovery and progress being made. I'm still taking Ibuprofen regularly for the swelling in my knee, which tends to be worse after any exercises, and I'm still using the CyroCuff for this reason too. But things are still going well and I can feel my knee and muscles getting stronger every single day!
If you would like to read my experience of my other weeks post-op, then you can find those blog posts here.
Feel free to leave me a comment if you've been through this (because I could use all of the advice and knowledge), or if you just feel like leaving a comment :)
Stay positive and keep on being you x

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you have some nasty injuries to recover from but with the help of your physiotherapist and your determination to recover I'm sure you'll get there. Physiotherapists are worth their weight in gold when it comes to rehabilitation. They really know how to inspire hope without being overly optimistic, setting timescales and revising treatment plans when necessary.

    Emmett Fletcher @ CK Physiotherapy

    ReplyDelete