Friday 10 April 2015

MY ACL STORY: The Week When I Escape....

Hello everyone :)
My delicious "escapee" Oreo and Nutella
ice cream
Week 2:
I know that I'm still meant to be on "bed rest", but can you really blame an active 17 year old girl for getting bored of just staying in all day everyday?! So this week included a few outings; such as going to the cinema, going to my grandma's for a shower a few times (which I finally managed to do!), going to Church, going out for dessert (twice) and then a few trips to asda too. However I did restrict myself a little bit as I wasn't allowed to venture out to London to see McBusted on their UK tour :( Which I was deeply saddened by, but you know, you've got to pick your battles.

This week I was finally able to do the final exercise that I was given! Which was an incredible feeling, to finally not feel the horrible pain of straining my muscles - but almost feeling comfortable in the position. The final exercise that I am referring to is the one where you have to sit with a rolled up towel (or anything that can be rolled) under your heel/ankle. You then tense the muscle on the front of your thigh and push down with your knee.
On the topic of exercises, because I am now past the first week, I only have to complete the exercises 3 times a day, rather than every hour. I feel that this is a lot more manageable and allows you to really appreciate the exercises when you're doing them.
So I am very proud of myself for how hard I have worked this week :)
The shower bag on my leg

I also managed to shower for the first and second time this week. Now, this sounds gross but I have been washing with a flannel everyday, but having a shower seemed much too difficult for the first week. At my house, we do not have a shower so it meant I had to go to my grandma's house (but grandma's spoil you so...). Once there, I had to cover my leg so that the wounds and plasters would stay dry. I used an actual shower bag, that you can get from any supermarkets or chemists, and it had draw strings at the top and bottom to help keep all of the water out. This helped a lot! And my leg came out completely dry.

After escaping to have some dessert with friends, I was feeling happy and full up of ice cream and I decided that I wanted to try and take a few steps without my crutches.
I was quite nervous to try it, but I ACTUALLY MANAGED TO DO IT! I walked with a limp, but there was no pain whatsoever. I'm still meant to walk with 2 crutches at all times but knowing that my leg feels strong enough to stand on it's own made me so incredibly happy.
This is what I missed out
on :(

Although, this week wasn't all smiles and happiness, because I did have to miss out on going to see McBusted :( Because I still have the staples in and I still have the brace on (and I'm only meant to be partially weight bearing), it just wouldn't have been ideal for me at all.
I got the tickets for my sister for Christmas and kept it a complete surprise. When I found out I was having surgery the week before the concert, she had to find someone else to go with her as I just wouldn't have been up to it.
But my sister and her friend both had a great time, and it turns out that McBusted were filming that show for a live DVD, so I can at least pretend I was there!
 And my sister bought me a T-shirt and a wristband, so I was extremely pleased with those.


So this week has been a little bit mismatched, but I think it was spent being quite chilled out still. Hopefully next weeks post should start to get this recovery ball rolling!
If you would like to read my experience of my first week post-op, then you can find that blog post here.
Feel free to leave me a comment if you've been through this (because I could use all of the advise and knowledge), or if you just feel like leaving a comment :)
Stay positive and keep on being you x

No comments:

Post a Comment